Carrot bed question.

I got the Johnies catalog. What a good catalog. And I see they sell burdock, Which I buy quite a bit of. Its difficult to find. Their growing suggestion is to grow them in deep carrot soil. Or a raised bed to make harvesting easier.
What is deep carrot soil. ?? Does it mean I have to dig a pit and fill it with soil.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.none says...

Just curious but which variety of burdock do you buy?
Standard Arctium Lappa or Gobo?
@yahoo.com says...

That is, Gobo, Arctium Lappa (Takinogawa Long) for instance.
http://www.richters.com/Web_store/web_store.cgi?product=X8370 &show=&prodclass=Herb_and_Vegetable_Seeds&cart_id687380.13718
says...

I cant answer that until i go bacvk to Chinatown. . i just threw some packaged away. I have ordered dried from an asian store , And i go to China town to get packaged , flavored burdock, Sorry.

On 12/15/10 8:35 AM, sometime in the recent past DogDiesel posted this:

I just looked at Phorbin's link and it strikes me funny that seeds and young plants are actually sold. Not that anyone would want them, that I can see, but they are hardy from zones 2 through 10, they are a bane to anyone with a long-haired dog or cat. Where do you live that you can't locate some wild ones to collect seeds from? When my dog brings the burrs (seeds) home, I put them in the fire so they won't grow in my yard. lol Reminds me of when I was a kid and we would take our Irish Setter pheasant hunting in NJ, USA - that poor dog would come home with a pound of burrs stuck in it's hair and I'd spend hours grooming him after. Good luck.
--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3

I have a raised bed that is 10 inches above ground and another 10 inches of loose soil below it, for a total of twenty inches. I grow 8 inch long kuroda carrots. The roots go deep for carrots. I also plant the seeds directly into the ground. I have never had success with seed kits indoors with carrots, but great success with direct seed in the ground. What's Up Doc?

snipped-for-privacy@nearyou.com says...

...Hours of grooming eh. Maybe your dog goes looking for burdock.
It doesn't show up often here in the city here.

In S jersey the burrs are rare so are pheasants. Our pheasants are stocked and stupid. We hunted over by the Philadelphia airport in the "Meadows 50 years ago where smart pheasants reproduced. Challenging . Only 50 miles away but soil and cover does matter. Once saw a TV program deaing with pheasant hunting in Dakotas which was unbelievable.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"Always tell the truth and you don't have to remember anything."
On 12/15/10 1:04 PM, sometime in the recent past Bill who putters posted this:

We used to hunt in an area called Round Valley, I believe. We'd hunt to train the dog and I don't think there was a burdock he didn't find and then attach to his coat. In later years, we'd go more to north Jersey, Morris & Sussex Cty.
I'd be careful planting anything with a 40" taproot unless you have a backhoe at your disposal. :)
--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3

No. It means that you need deep soil (unless you are growing Chatennay type carrots) and soil that has not had lots of recent fertilizing (because of forking). You may be impressed by that catalogue but I wouldn't be based on that description of the soil needs of carrots.