Cantaloupes on the ground

I have some volunteer cantaloupes growing in my garden. They are from seeds from my cold compost pile. (I am not well enough to turn it and keep it hot.)

The cantaloupes are laying on the ground. Should I try to get them up off the ground? If so, how? Should I try to hang them in net bags? Should I put newspapers under them? Thank you in advance for all replies.

-- Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY, REALLY good. I'll have some of that!"

Reply to
Daniel Prince

I put mine on little beds of hay or straw. It provides drainage and prevents direct contact with the ground.

Reply to
Thos

It is good to get them off the ground especially if it is wet as it reduces the chance of fungal attacks. I use old tiles or sections of house cladding. These can be re-used and don't rot and stay damp.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Andy writes: In the past, my cantalopes have been decimated by mice/birds who come along and start pecking/gnawing at the fruit as soon as it starts to ripen. They tend to eat holes in the sides to get at the seeds.

This year, I tried something different. As soon as the fruit got to about softball size, still green, I took a plastic Walmart bag and put it around the plant, loosely tying it so that it didn't stress the fruit.

It worked very well. No predators bothered the gruit. Every week or so I would peek inside the sack, and determine if it was time to pick. Also, I oriented the bag so that when it rained, the fruit wouldn't be sitting in water...

As a result, I got a full, intact, cantalope crop...

I posted this technique and received some advice from others who have tried it. One good suggestion was to use old panty hose instead of solid plastic, so that there wouldn't be any drainage problem. I'll try it next year.

I wanted to share this experience, since it's an easy thing to do if you have a rodent/bird problem.... and, believe me, sooner or later you will.

If any readers can add to this technique, I'd be pleased to read about it.

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
AndyS