Cantaloupes and fence

My garden is surrounded by a fence. The fencing is about 2"X3" squares. I've been waiting for a couple of months for the cantalouple to flower and fruit. The flowering has been great and continues. Cantaloupe is planted on 2 mounds, about 2 feet from the fence. It has grown parallel to the fence, and later towards the fence. All flowering has resulted in no fruit. I left it alone. Now, the cantaloupe is all over the fence. Found many fruit growing now. All hanging from the fence. I've never attempted cantaloupe before. Is it supposed to be supported in the air like on a fence? Dave
Dave wrote:

If you mean does it have be grown on a fence before it produces fruit, no.
Lar

That's what I meant, and that's the only place its making fruit. Maybe it thinks its a grape? Dave

The first flowers are normally male. The female do not appear until later. That is probably why your fruit is on the fence.
--
Susan N.

Dave wrote:

Maybe it's trying to elope, but can't.
They will produce on the fence, if they dont get too big. Can you put a box or up side down bucket along the fence for them to rest on? Good luck.
Dwayne

I used to use knee high nylon stockings to support them on the fence. Slip the stocking up over the cantaloupe and stem and support the stocking by wiring it to the fence.

--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
Says similar here near bottom of the webpage. Thanks. http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/veggies/muskmelon1.html Dave

Cool.
Yes, those mesh produce bags that some things come in will work too if you can get enough of them. :-) I just found the Knee High's to be available and inexpensive, and re-usable.
Most welcome!

--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.