Cantaloupes and fence

My garden is surrounded by a fence. The fencing is about 2"X3" squares. I've been waiting for a couple of months for the cantalouple to flower and fruit. The flowering has been great and continues. Cantaloupe is planted on 2 mounds, about 2 feet from the fence. It has grown parallel to the fence, and later towards the fence. All flowering has resulted in no fruit. I left it alone. Now, the cantaloupe is all over the fence. Found many fruit growing now. All hanging from the fence. I've never attempted cantaloupe before. Is it supposed to be supported in the air like on a fence? Dave

Reply to
Dave

If you mean does it have be grown on a fence before it produces fruit, no.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

That's what I meant, and that's the only place its making fruit. Maybe it thinks its a grape? Dave

Reply to
Dave

The first flowers are normally male. The female do not appear until later. That is probably why your fruit is on the fence.

Reply to
The Cook

Maybe it's trying to elope, but can't.

Reply to
doofy

They will produce on the fence, if they dont get too big. Can you put a box or up side down bucket along the fence for them to rest on? Good luck.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

Reply to
Omelet

Reply to
Dave

Cool.

Yes, those mesh produce bags that some things come in will work too if you can get enough of them. :-) I just found the Knee High's to be available and inexpensive, and re-usable.

Most welcome!

Reply to
Omelet