Canned food.

Strange weather we're having isn't it? We must be in a snow-proof area since everywhere North, South, East & West of us is just getting dumped on. I'm about 50 miles east of you, just outside Cambridge and we can still see the soil in our garden. My daughter phoned the other day from NS, concerned about the amount of snow in the area and I told her it was pretty bad alright, drifts were almost up to 1/2 inch deep here ;-).

Ross. Southern Ontario, Canada. AgCanada Zone 5b

43º 17' 26.75" North 80º 13' 29.46" West
Reply to
Ross

Ah, but you provided a little bit of humor in these dark, dreary, December days.

Good one. I noticed your slip because it reminded me of a similar one I saw once in a mystery I was reading: To get over the wall..............

"(the hero) tied a rope around his waste"

OOOhhh Kayy.

Emilie

Reply to
mleblanca

mleblanca wrote in news:a82f1b94-ed0f-43e2-bdc6- snipped-for-privacy@z17g2000prz.googlegroups.com:

When you are up to your waste? Shudder.

But as you said rather funny that way.

Baz

Reply to
Baz

LOL

This is a bit odd for London. On average a lot of weather seems to pass to the North, South or East of London.

People think we're in the snow belt but the snow belt traditionally begins nearer Exeter.

...And we're supposed to get either rain or snow on Sunday depending on which way the temperature goes.

Reply to
phorbin

But it was good. Very good. Take your hat off and take a bow for a really inventive response.

Reply to
FarmI

It has been. Too much rain and too little heat for late November/December. Thankfully today it was fine, sunny and warm and we could finally get on with work on the new chook house.

My tomatoes will never get ripe by Xmas if this cool and rainy weather continues. So frustrating.

Reply to
FarmI

i do so love the unintentinal puns... :)

(read "waste" as "butthole") thanks for the giggle.

i like canned cream of asparagus soup, but i would not even compare it to fresh picked from the garden crunched in the teeth immediately version of asparagus. some things just should not be crossed (like apples and oranges).

it's well refrigerated for a while at least.

we are finally getting enough snow to cover the ground which is going to be just in time for the single digit temperatures.

haha, just read below that DanL is another Techie. i lived in da Hoton for 15 years.

1 meter of snow is just getting warmed up. the year before i left we had over 220 inches of snow.

i remember kayaking along a shoreline of Lake Superior in early July and seeing a snowbank on the shoreline.

songbird (now mid michigan, usa

Reply to
songbird

Songbird are you a techie also?

I am in the Port Huron area, getting about 6 inches of show today. Nothing compared to the Upper Peninsula. I remember the white outs, could not see the hand in front of my face, it snowed so hard. The two years there averaged around 300 inches. I ran out of money and finished my degree at Wayne State, could live at home and go to the University. I still under estimate the cost of things.

I admit I do not think of the past often, it was 35 years ago. I sit here and all I can remember was the Dorm name, Douglas Houghton Hall. I do not even remember the theater or the bars names. It was mostly go to class, study, sleep, no other life. I stayed to my self most of the time. People came and went, never really met anyone. Since I had an Amateur Radio License, They let me operate the local Radio Station once in while on the top floor of the dorm.

Remember, my goal in life is to be a hermit :)

Reply to
Dan L

...private e-mail would be more appropriate for this DanL...

yes, i went up there for a 4yr degree and stayed 15 years. then i went to the hills of eastern TN for a few years, then OH for a few more and then back here where most of my family is.

we didn't get that much, but i was glad to see it covering the ground (insulates the plants from the hard freeze and helps even out the temperature so freeze/thaw cycles don't heave the plants out of the ground).

i used to go out and walk in blizzards (if you wear the right stuff it's not as bad as it sounds). i loved that raw feeling of things howling all around me. still though i think my favorite times were walking when the lake effect snow was coming down on calm nights (very very few when the wind wasn't whipping down the canal) you could look up and see the stars and the moon and there'd be no clouds but snow would be floating down all around. sometimes it even made a whispering sound.

the statement i made originally said 220+ inches, but that was a typo, it was over 330 inches that year.

i lived in DHH the entire time i was on campus (7 or 8 years total) including parts of the summers when nobody else was around . that place has a wonderful basement for walking through when all the lights are off. the ice machine in the laundry room scared the crap outta me more times than i can remember.

there was more than one radio station on campus when i was there (WGGL public radio running out of the ROTC building -- and the other station run by students in Wadsworth Hall that was a place i never actually went to). i don't recall a station in DHH, but that could have happened and then moved before my time. looks like you were there a few years before me. :) things have changed quite a bit since i left. we wandered through two summers ago as they were in the middle of redoing downtown Houghton streets.

who writes to worldwide usenet groups. ;)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Posting an email address on the usenet is just as bad. My real name is not Dan or Nad. I have been on use net since the late seventies. I learn a bad lesson when I first posted my email address. I was getting like 300 junk mail postings a day. I could not use my computer at all, then it was dial-up. Had to get a new address and dial in account. So I tend to keep things in general terms here. I like to keep my distance :)

DHH... the basement where the laundry rooms were and playing ping-pong or watching tv with a dozen others. I also liked the CO-ED sauna, it was real small :) HHD hall had real fireplaces in the main rooms gave the place a cozy atmosphere.

Wadsworth, now I remember the name. I knew a couple of people their, swapped albums with others. The only thing I like about Wadsworth was the cafeteria opened until 9pm.

It did not seem that cold. I remember the sound of crunch crunch of walking on the snow. Large bulldozers for snow removal. Could read a newspaper late at night with ease with all the snow reflecting the smallest of light.

They may have moved the radio station years later. It was in a small room on the top floor. The only fun I had there was the station. But I did not use it more than once a month.

If I had the money I would have stayed it was a First Rate University. Wayne State was not that bad also and cost less and more convenient.

Small world after all. Won't find an email on one of several web sites I have. Usenet is the closet to being public for me. I do maintain family contacts. Christmas time will be dozens of family members getting together. Being a hermit is a goal, so far I am a failure at it :)

Tennessee huh, i know people from Grundy county. Outside of Chattanooga. That place has really changed over the years. Where old country log cabin homes use to be are now huge mansions. The only thing in Ohio worth going to is Cedar Point.

The world is just way to small. I admit I am keeping my email address and I have a dozen of them, sorry. I am keeping my distance :)

Dan L

Or you could make a throw away account at Yahoo (for example) to communicate. So, caution isn't a problem.

The Hermit Kingdom (Korea)

Reply to
Billy

Actually if your smart, one can figure out my one of my email address. After all I am the administrator of that web site. I might make that a private listing soon :) if I get to Internic first :) If one does figure it out, don't display it! I still refuse to meet anyone here, very afraid of relationships :)

Reply to
Dan L

Canned beans are no different to normal beans!

Reply to
Olivia G

Are you talking dry beans or green beans?

Reply to
Billy

Canned asparagus is compost not food. "Fresh" asparagus from the supermarket can be acceptable but it isn't good. Asparagus you cut 10 minutes ago is the real thing and a sublime experience as long as you don't overcook it.

David

I like it raw when its picked from the garden

Reply to
aluckyguess

Dan L wrote: ...

actually, it isn't, i get very little spam e-mails sent to this e-mail address and i've been using it for years now. maybe one or two per day, once in a while it gets higher, but not that often that i even bother to set up a filter.

ok. :)

yes, it was a nice place to live compared to the other two residence halls as it was much smaller, and the food was always better. funny, this reminds me that i was on the food committee for a while (we made suggestions to the kitchen staff) and at odd times in the summer i'd work in the kitchen cleaning up. i haven't thought of that in a dozen years at least.

those dozers make a lot of noise at 5am, but they have upgraded the windows since you were there. i'm sure they are better now. besides at 5am you'd think they could turn the back-up beepers off...

:) i'm not a nozy person, i wouldn't look for one unless i had a reason to contact you. like in this case i felt it was more suitable to reply to a personal question via e-mail instead of rattling on here.

well i do have the website and people can find my info from that if they want. it's fine by me. i haven't had any troubles from it.

Christmas will be busy enough here with some family around. it's all good.

where i was (over near Elizabethton) was still pretty undeveloped and unfortunately the air pollution in the winter got to me too much (they still burn coal for winter heat and it would hang in the valleys with the temperature inversion layers trapping it in).

it was 8hrs drive closer than Eastern TN. :) from there i moved to Chesaning, MI which cut the family visit drive time down to 15 minutes. now we just holler at each other from one room to the next. :) so i can't claim hermitude yet for me either, but some days i pretend.

ok, fine by me.

peace and happy holidays to you and anyone else who gets this far in their reading. :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Merry Christmas :)