Canned food.

Page 1 of 2
Anyone besides me think canned beans and asparagus sucks.
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/5/2010 2:55 PM, DogDiesel wrote:

Sounds like an awful combination.
Add pictures here
✖

Been known to use canned asparagus.
Credits lost in time.
................................ Crab and Asparagus Soup With green onions and cilantro
Ingredients
2 Tbls. Peanut Oil 1/2 cup Shallots peeled and sliced 1 lb. Crab meat 4 cups Chicken stock 1 lb. Asparagus 2 eggs beaten 2 Tbls. Fish sauce 3 Tbls. Soy sauce
1 Tbls. Corn starch I Tbls. Water To taste white pepper
3 Tbls. Chopped Cilantro 3 Tbls. Chopped green onions ( Green Part only ) 1 Cup pea sprouts
Method
1. Sweat the shallots in the oil over medium heat. Add the crab and Asparagus sauté 2 minutes stir gently
2. Add chicken stock bring to a boil . Slowly pour in eggs while stirring gently. Use a Crockpot pot.
3. Combine the corn starch and water in a small bowl and mix to make a slurry. Pour into the boiling soup while stirring and cook five minutes.
4. Remove from heat and add the soy sauce, fish sauce and white pepper.
5. Ladle into warm deep bowls and garnish with Cilantro, green Onions, Pea sprouts and tempura fried Asparagus spears. Serve immediately.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

Daniel Moynihan and Dennis Kucinich in 2012 !
✖

I assume you mean green beans? (The dried ones cook/can just fine). Those are two things that just don't can well. Add peas to the list.
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G
Add pictures here
✖
DogDiesel wrote:

Canned asparagus is compost not food. "Fresh" asparagus from the supermarket can be acceptable but it isn't good. Asparagus you cut 10 minutes ago is the real thing and a sublime experience as long as you don't overcook it.
David
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 14:04:56 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"

Even better than cooked is to break off a spear and eat it in the garden. That assumes that they have not been sprayed.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

Add pictures here
✖

Fresh is not always possible. In prefer canned foods over foods that are out of season that is shipped from all over the world. Fresh is better if it is locally grown.
There is the newsgroup: rec.food.preserving You might find that group very useful. They know allot about what you seek.
The bible of food preservation book is: Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving: 400 Delicious and Creative Recipes for Today [Hardcover]
Canning most vegetables requires a pressure canner, not just a pressure cooker. However, pickling vegetables is the best way to go. I prefer pickled asparagus over pressure canned. I prefer the taste of my own canned foods over store bought. Home canning does not have all of the chemical preservatives that destroy flavor. Also your choices of canned food selection is vast compared what you can find in the supermarkets. It does require work to make your own canned foods.

✖
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

London *Ontario*Canada* here...
Home canned looks pretty good when you're up to your waste in snow.
Right now we have over a metre of snow blanketing the garden ...and the city's been more or less shut down for 3 days.
That said, with some determination and a shovel I could harvest some kale or some pak choi(which was still OK pre-snowfall). I just hate ruining the view right now.
Add pictures here
✖

I know what you mean and hope your well stocked in useful things.
Ps Santa is bringing me snowshoes soon. This so I can walk about and reduce the snow build up on my perennials. Last year stunned us.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"Always tell the truth and you don't have to remember anything."
✖

Remembering the past. When I went to Michigan Tech University in the Upper Peninsula I went snow shoeing by myself on the golf grounds. I was curious and I took them off and jumped... I was up to my neck in snow. It took a half hour to get back on those shoes. I was well dressed though. Snow eventually came up to my second floor dorm room window. I loved seeing the northern lights every night high in the sky during the winter.

✖

Phorbin I think that you didn't mean quite what you said. But it is rather funny that way. Although maybe just a little bit "gross'"
LOL Emilie
Add pictures here
✖
In article <a82f1b94-ed0f-43e2-bdc6-e719d01bdb11

Hi Emilie,
I more or less meant it the way I wrote it. I think I didn't mean it quite the way you've taken it :-)
Add pictures here
✖

waste vs. waist in snow? Don't know how your waste could make canned food look better.
--
- Billy
✖

Ah... bugger...
Couldn't see that without help.
I hate it when I make unintended mistakes like that.
I'll let snow shovelling fatigue be my excuse. With all the extra physical exertion, I'm pretty close to waisted.
Add pictures here
✖

it's the auto spell checkers, they help and harm you. Mine does not just warn you with red underlining, it changes the word as you type. I like it and I hate it.
Someday I hope they add an auto grammar checker like in word processors to run in all applications. It would correct the context spelling as well.
One inch of snow today. Sunday predicting four inches. It's not much.

✖

Ah, but you provided a little bit of humor in these dark, dreary, December days.

Good one. I noticed your slip because it reminded me of a similar one I saw once in a mystery I was reading: To get over the wall..............
"(the hero) tied a rope around his waste"
OOOhhh Kayy.
Emilie
Add pictures here
✖
says...

But it was good. Very good. Take your hat off and take a bow for a really inventive response.
Add pictures here
✖

When you are up to your waste? Shudder.
But as you said rather funny that way.
Baz
Add pictures here
✖

Strange weather we're having isn't it? We must be in a snow-proof area since everywhere North, South, East & West of us is just getting dumped on. I'm about 50 miles east of you, just outside Cambridge and we can still see the soil in our garden. My daughter phoned the other day from NS, concerned about the amount of snow in the area and I told her it was pretty bad alright, drifts were almost up to 1/2 inch deep here ;-).
Ross. Southern Ontario, Canada. AgCanada Zone 5b 43º 17' 26.75" North 80º 13' 29.46" West
Add pictures here
✖