can I save the seeds?

just wondering, can I save the seeds from fruit and veg that I hav

bought at the supermarket, so I can plant them next year? and how woul I do it? I figured if it could be done, I might as well get some use ou of them other then just eating :

-- Witchy Mama

Reply to
Witchy Mama

I do it all the time...

Most successful with winter squashes. Any of the dry beans from the grocery store will also plant and grow just fine. :-)

Just rinse and dry them, and store in paper envelopes and put the envelopes in a ziplock. Store in a cool dry spot.

Reply to
Katra

No reason you can't save seeds from supermarket produce. See

seed-saving information.

The primary problem in saving *any* seed is that most of today's veg plants are hybrids, and the seeds will often not produce the exact variety they came from, but some unknown combination of its ancestors. However, the cantaloupe seed will produce a cantaloupe vine and a bean, a bean plant.

Reply to
Frogleg

Don't forget the roots like taro, garlic, lemon grass. Most fruits are easy too. Here's a good site for info on those:

've never had any success with chocolate almonds though. ;)

Reply to
Pen

That's a real shame, isn't it? :-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

i bought a pomegranate in feb last year, planted about 18 seeds in pots. about 2/3 of those germinated. i was too late in the summer planting them but 3 did make it thru the winter here. now all three are about 10" tall, hopefully they'll be a decent size and get thru one more long winter, hopefully i'll get some flowers on them next year and fruit. i'm not sure how big the bush needs to be to flower though. oh well. tis fun trying. my mom had three huuuuuuuge pomegranate bushes she grew from seed while living in the east San Francisco bay area. they grew some beautiful big fruit as well. they make great addition to salads for colour, texture and zing of flavour. they also make great jelly for your toast. she also had a 15 ft + tall avocado she grew from seed. admittedly the fruit was what i think is called fingerlings as they are more long skinny than roundish but they still tasted great, so who cares the shape. i just got bought another pomegranate to try some more seeds. i want my small garden covered with lots of these big bushes. no one here grows them commercially that i'm aware of but i'd be happy to supply restaurants with homegrown ones. this one piece of fruit (from california btw) cost nearly NZ$2. i could have a small second income if i can get enough bushes well established. the flowers make a lovely addition to the garden as well.

i've got > just wondering, can I save the seeds from fruit and veg that I have

Reply to
nzlstar