Can I make my blackberries sweeter?

I just planted 3 varieties of blackberries in my garden. Apache, Arapahoe and Rosenburgh. The only one that is producing any berries is Rosenbergh, but they seem too sour. They get full sun, are in soil lightened with peat and a little sand, and get adequate water. The plants are beautiful, as are the berries. Is there some soil amendment I can add to sweeten the berries?
You may be picking them too soon. When I was a girl, my grandmother taught me that to find the sweet ones, they had to nearly fall off in your hand when you gave them a little tug.
Try waiting a little longer, and see how it goes.
:I just planted 3 varieties of blackberries in my garden. Apache, Arapahoe : and Rosenburgh. The only one that is producing any berries is Rosenbergh, : but they seem too sour. They get full sun, are in soil lightened with peat : and a little sand, and get adequate water. The plants are beautiful, as are : the berries. Is there some soil amendment I can add to sweeten the berries? : :
On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 08:41:34 -0500, in rec.gardens.edible "Kate"
to see:

Lol! You are so right. You put your hand around a bunch and those that come off into your hand with a mere caress are sweet and those you have to tug are tart. The feeling as to which will be which comes with practice. :-)
FACE

You might check into how acidic the soil needs to be for blackberries and then compare that with your soil's pH.
I brought some blackberries from Arkansas that really had a good taste and were sweet(acidic soil), to my present home and planted them (Neutral soil). They got as big as they did in AR, but had no flavor or taste, and were very bitter. They made good jam and preserves, but you couldn't eat them right off the vine.
Dwayne