Can I freeze tomatoes until I have enough to can a batch?

It's not a Martini unless...

Never mind.

Reply to
Omelet

Thats what we refer to as tomato sauce. Roy across the road gave me a great recipe for tomato sauce involving sugar, vinegar and various spices. Very nice stuff.

rob

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to snipped-for-privacy@netfront.net --

Reply to
George.com

anyhow, we are both talking about the same thing but by different name. Tomato sauce/tomato ketchup. As I said, you americans must have some really good mass produced tomato ketchup if it is better than the home made stuff. The two recipes I have used for tomato sauce beat the mass produced stuff, the one recipe by some distance.

rob

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to snipped-for-privacy@netfront.net --

Reply to
George.com

We would be if ketchup on the NA contintent didn't mean something that resembles at least in texture if not necessarily taste, Heinz Ketchup.

--Unless you're creating something like it.

Ketchup used to mean "sauce" IIRC and could be quite varied in flavour and ingredients. It didn't have to include tomatoes..

Reply to
phorbin

In the U.S. tomato sauce is basically nothing but tomato purried and cooked down. It might have a very small amount of sweetener, but it is very little and only added to make up for poor quality tomato.

If you substituted ketchup for any recipe that calls for tomato sauce, you're going to have a discusting meal that can only be tossed in the trash.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Actually, Heintz is quite decent. I don't eat a lot of it, but I like that brand quite a bit when I do...

If I make a cooked down "tomato sauce" for canning or freezing, it's generally flavored Italian style, or sometimes made into a Salsa/Picante.

Reply to
Omelet

Agreed... altho' the starving college student handbook has a recipe for cream of tomato soup made from the free condiments you can get at most fast food places. ;-)

Involves a cup of hot water, ketchup and coffee creamer packets.

Reply to
Omelet

Ps, I tried it just for grins one time at work...

and it works!

Reply to
Omelet

I once made spanish rice using ketchup. I can recall few grosser concoctions.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I didn't say it was good. But it worked... The creamer packets offset the taste of the ketchup.

You used it in spanish rice??? Why?

Reply to
Omelet

Lack of money. Young stupidity.