Can I freeze tomatoes until I have enough to can a batch?

Ain't that the truth! We tried our hand at it one year when we had a real glut of tomatoes but, we ended up with about 12 liters, not one or two pints. And, like you say, it was almost as good as store bought. The real saving grace was the fact that a couple of the grandkids liked it better than the store bought so we were able to unload a bunch.
Ross.

I was referring to making ketchup, not tomato sauce. There's a big difference. We make tomato sauce every year and it most certainly is better than store bought. For the amount of ketchup we use, making it is worth neither the time nor the effort.
Ross

Ketchup is saturated with sugar and has some vinegar too.

Unless you are making home made low carb Ketchup/Catsup!
--
Peace! Om

Omelet wrote:

That might be good, but it's not Ketchup. (Oddly enough, if you use honey for the sweetener, it doesn't even meet the USDA definition of ketchup and you have to call it something like "imitation ketchup".)
Bob

If I'm making it for my own use, I can call it whatever I want. <g>
--
Peace! Om

Omelet wrote:

I call mine "Alfredo". I called everything I cook "Alfredo". (I learned that from watching Olive Garden commercials.)
Think I'll go make myself a Bourbon Martini with an orange twist...
;-P
Bob

It's not a Martini unless...
Never mind. <g>
--
Peace! Om

says...

We would be if ketchup on the NA contintent didn't mean something that resembles at least in texture if not necessarily taste, Heinz Ketchup. --Unless you're creating something like it.
Ketchup used to mean "sauce" IIRC and could be quite varied in flavour and ingredients. It didn't have to include tomatoes..

In the U.S. tomato sauce is basically nothing but tomato purried and cooked down. It might have a very small amount of sweetener, but it is very little and only added to make up for poor quality tomato.
If you substituted ketchup for any recipe that calls for tomato sauce, you're going to have a discusting meal that can only be tossed in the trash.

Agreed... altho' the starving college student handbook has a recipe for cream of tomato soup made from the free condiments you can get at most fast food places. ;-)
Involves a cup of hot water, ketchup and coffee creamer packets.
--
Peace! Om

Ps, I tried it just for grins one time at work...
and it works!
--
Peace! Om

I once made spanish rice using ketchup. I can recall few grosser concoctions.

I didn't say it was good. <g> But it worked... The creamer packets offset the taste of the ketchup.
You used it in spanish rice??? <gag> Why?
--
Peace! Om

I understand. ;-)
--