Can I freeze tomatoes until I have enough to can a batch?

Page 1 of 3
I have some early tomatoes that either need to be eaten or put up, but it's not really enough to run a canning batch. I've also got tons of green ones still on the plants. I'd like to save the early ones until the green ones are ripe too. How about freezing the ripe ones until the others are ripe? I know it would make them mushy when thawed, but they get all mushy when we can them anyway. If freezing is OK, would you recommend freezing them whole or peeling & chopping them first?
Ya'll's thoughts?
Robert in the hills of Tennessee

Blanch and peel first. You could also stew them and can them as a sauce. ;-d
--
Peace! Om

Just freeze them. When defrosted, the skin comes right off.

Even turn them into ketchup. Anyone tried their hand at this?
Mayhaps I'll adventure it this year, instead of the many peppers needed to make my *world famous* salsa, (beings I'm coming up short on peppers this year :(
http://southernfood.about.com/od/canning/r/bl90718g.htm
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/HOMEMADE-KETCHUP-109037
"Steve Young" <bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet> wrote:

I thought catsup was only for people who didn't like food ;O)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

wot!? fries or a burger without it? ;)
"Steve Young" <bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet> wrote:

Hard boiled eggs. ;-d
--
Peace! Om

Your heartless ;o), mustard or aioli would be much better :-)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Actually, Bragg's Liquid Aminos are good on HB eggs... I'll have to google for Aioli.
I'm not a mustard fan like mom was.
<googles for Aioli>
To heck with that!
PESTO!!!
--
Peace! Om

Good mustard is like horse radish. It should make your eyes water and you should feel the heat in your nose.

Pesto pasta rocks, no argument here:o)
But what about store bought cooked vs. homegrown cooked. I can't remember a difference like I can fresh. Can You?
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

I'm not a horseradish fan either. Mom was. I avoid Wasabi too. ;-)

--
Peace! Om

Shirley, you're kidding. It's best if you can make it with just the flowers. Just as good is pesto made the same way but with cilantro. Hmmmmmmm, hmm, hmm.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

oh my, the basic start for my world famous sketti sauce :)

I was wondering if I could use the flowers for anything. (was remiss and they got away from me, turns out my lucky day? :)

I planted cilantro, doesn't mean I can claim success of growing it :( but "next year" the gardener says
"Steve Young" <bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet> wrote:

You may still be in luck if you haven't already dug up the bed or dumped the pot. Parsley and cilantro usually go to seed in late spring. Took me a couple of years to figure tat out. I'd buy a starter plant of cilantro, take it home. Inside of three weeks it would bolt and three weeks later, I'd have an empty pot. It would have been easier to just give the nursery the money and avoid the hassle;o) Here in California, they will produce all winter long. Reminds me that I should get some seeds into the ground. If you grow them in pots, tuck the seed heads back in the pot and they will reseed themselves. That's what I do with my chervil. I used to grow it free range but in a pot it goes away for a couple of months and then comes back, like it is doing now.
And TOTALLY off topic, this has been a very pleasant gardening year for me due to iron phosphate and the havoc that it wreaks on gastropods. Every couple of weeks I toss a hand full into a bed and I don't need to worry about it for a couple of more weeks. The lettuce patch looks particularly nice.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

I only grow parsley when I plant dill weed. :-) Gives me something to move the Swallowtail larvae to. <g>
They can also live on Fennel leaves.
--
Peace! Om

"Steve Young" <bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet> wrote:

Since, when I have grown it, I try to extend the life of my Basil plants, I DO snip the flowers and use them. They are quite tasty!
Same goes for dittany blossoms. (Dittany of Crete blooms profusely but is a perennial).
--
Peace! Om

In article

Oh gag! Sorry, but I detest Cilantro! I have the genetics that make it taste like soap chips.
That comes up a lot on the cooking lists. :-)
And don't call me shirley! <lol>
--
Peace! Om

"Steve Young" <bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet> wrote:

Ab-so-pos-itivly-freakin'-tootly ;o)
Mustard (not French's, gag) or aioli. Sugar covers flavor. You don't want it with good food, otherwise use as much as you have to to survive ;o)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
"Steve Young" <bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet> wrote:

I've not seriously investigated this, but I have the kitchen toys to make a clean puree...
Since I've tried to adopt a low carb lifestyle, ideas like this are always good. <g>
--
Peace! Om

Steve Young wrote:

Every gardener should make ketchup once in their life. You take a half a bushel of fresh tomatoes, some vinegar and salt, and a bunch of expensive sugar and spices. Cook them down for about 6 hours (Careful! Don't let it burn!) When you're all done, you have a pint or two of ketchup that's almost as good as the 20 ounce bottle of store-bought ketchup you could have bought for about $1. HTH :-)
Bob