Can Citrus be cloned?

I have come across a wonderful tasting orange and would like to have a go at taking a cutting of this. Does anyone know if this is possible or recommended, if so maybe some links to "best practices" when it come to cloning citrus. TIA Rod
On 16 Aug 2004 00:21:42 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Rod) wrote:

You can air layer them to get another plant from the parent plant. It's not too hard to do and doesn't take too many materials. The hardest thing about it is waiting for the roots to grow.
The best way I think would be to get a good rootstock and then graft your orange on to that. You might want to try a few to make sure that one makes it. Good luck. ed
opined:

Seconded.
In this country, which is very big on citrus plantations, ALL citrus trees are grafted onto strong rootstocks. Find out what is the usual rootstock for your area, and go that way. Don't bother with any other approach.
--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Stan Goodman wrote:

I think citrus is usually grafted onto trifoliate orange, which can be grown from seeds. Trifoliate orange is very hardy (and I think it's nematode resistant), so if an especially hard freeze kills the top, you still have the roots and can regraft it to grow a new fruit tree quickly.
Bob