Can anyone identify this Canna?

I've photographed a sample of: A leaf A branch with: two green seed pods three brown seed pods a set of three flowers One seed

This photograph (about 1 megapixel - 245kB) is at:

I'm wondering if anyone can identify whether it's a C. indica or some other Canna.

We are in Bowen, Queensland, Australia, and we've been growing them from seeds collected from the Canna that grew after we started tending the garden.

Splitting the seed with a hammer reveals a black shell about the thickness of three 80gsm sheets of paper, then a hard white substance with a hole on one end, surrounding the about 1/16" diameter plant germ, which grows out of the aforementioned hole.

Reply to
Ben Peddell

Shoots, we had those all over Hawaii and they're like a weed; they just keep cropping up. I never knew what their name was, but the flower really doesn't open very much. Wish I could help you. It *is* a canna though, you're right. They come in orange, red and a mix of a veined orange-red.

kili

Reply to
kilikini

It's a very old canna, one of the true types and I got it while living in Hawaii and now maket it as Tiki Torch canna.

Reply to
starlord

Kili, Get back to your room! AFBinaries.....

chuckle.

Good seeing you here.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Watts

Thankyou. I notice that the Tiki Torch has purple near the flowers. I cannot see any purple on any of our cannas.

I was asking because I was wondering whether anyone could identify whether it's an edible one or just an ornamental hybrid. Appearantly, the rhizome of C. indica / C. edulis is full of arrowroot-like starch.

I guess that there are _lots_ of different Canna hybrids around, which makes it hard to tell exactly what type of Canna it is.

Reply to
Ben Peddell

Hey, it's Usenet, I can go wherever I want, so there! :~P

kili

Reply to
kilikini

backacha>