Calories

Does anyone know how the number of calories in a food or drink is arrived at. How is the measurement made.

4 Cal (kcal) / gram of carbohydrate (sugar, starch, or protein) and 9 Cal (kcal)/ gram of oil or fat. One Calorie can raise the temperature of one gram (1 cubic milliliter) of water one degree Centigrade. Cool, huh? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie#Nutritional_and_food_labels - Bill Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)
In article

I shouldn't stay up past my bedtime. OK? Let me clean up my mess.
There are 4 Calories (kcal, a thousand calories) / gram of carbohydrate (sugar, starch) or protein and 9 Cal (kcal)/ gram of oil or fat.
One calorie (with a small "c") can raise the temperature of one gram (1 cubic centimetr = 1 milliliter) of water (at standard temperature and pressure) one degree centigrade.
Cool, huh? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie#Nutritional_and_food_labels
I work better with a blackboard. Hmmm. These days I guess you would call it a white board.
This is what I call the tar baby syndrome. The more you mess with it, the worse it gets. I wonder if it's too late to go back to bed?
- Bill Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)
snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca says...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_energy
        Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.