Cabbage question

I planted 18 cabbages at the same time, all have the same sun and water, yet one is about big enough to weigh 8 lbs and the rest are the size of softballs. I wanted them for sauerkraut, and need to process 5 or more heads at a time. Does anyone have any idea why they aren't growing at the same rate?
Thanks in advance.
Dwayne

yet
Did you start the seeds or did you buy plants?
I bought the plants from a local green house that started them from seeds.
Dwayne
"TQ" <ToweringQs AT adelphia.net> wrote in message

some of them might have been rootbound. cabbage is special for that.
I didnt check for that, but there were 6 to a pack, and I pulled them out and put them in the ground and covered up the roots.
Dwayne

Could be you bought one of a differnt variety than the others.

water,
I did, two packs (12 plants) of one vaiety and one pack of another. They were all planted the same day.
What will happen if I leave them in the ground until the are all the same size? Some one said they might get bitter.