Buying square tomato cages

Do any of the "big box stores" such as Walmart, Home Depot or Lowes sell square tomato cages? I need some and I do not have time for mail order. Thank you in advance for all replies.

-- Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY, REALLY good. I'll have some of that!"

Reply to
Daniel Prince

I made my own out of concrete reinforcing wire that I got at building supply yard before Walmart & Home Depot or Lowes!!

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Were you able to make ones that fold up like the commercial ones do?

-- I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets. They were all gourmands!

Reply to
Daniel Prince

That's pretty simple to do - just wire the things together for use, un- wire and un-roll for (almost) flat storage. These things are beefier (ie, they can take whatever monster your tomato plants become) WAY better than anything you are likely to buy.

However, if you must go for the commercially available consumer product, by all means. Good luck with the hunt!

Reply to
gonzo

The way I made mine: My reinforcing wire is 6 inch mesh. I used a small bolt cutter to cut the wire. I cut the mesh so I have 3 verticle wires with the horozonal wires cut next to what would be the 4th verticle. With 4 of these, it's just making a loop on the ends of those horozonal wires and connecting all 4 pieces together to form the square. That way they fold flat by 2 sides wide.

I guess I could try to take some photos if this is not clear. I couldn,t shw 1 folded, because they are all in use now. :-)

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Thanks for that tip.. That way I can actually put away my cages for the season, instead of leaving the rounds out all year long.

Reply to
gonzo

We make ours from some kind of non-rusting cattle wire that we get at a farm supply. It comes in big rolls. They are round, narrower at one end than the other so they can be nested for storage.

Isabella

Reply to
Isabella Woodhouse