Butternt Squash

Hello
I'm new to this site and new to gardening. I have a butternut squash that has taken over my very small plot. I have a few small ones, and one large one. Only thing is, I have no idea when to pick them. The large one is still green. Will it turn colour? Is there anything I should be looking out for?
Any advice gratefully received.
PennyMay
--
PennyMay

Add pictures here
✖
PennyMay said:

Butternut squash turn tan when ripe. But there is not much time left for a green butternut squash to ripen.
Any chance that you planted a butterCUP squash? These are usually green when mature.
In any case, a mature winter squash will have a hard rind and a very hard stem. The stem on a butternut squash will be hard as wood; buttercup stems are a bit corky.

After enlightenment, the laundry.
✖
On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 22:55:05 +0100, PennyMay

When the squash turns golden and the stem gers hard it's ready to pick.
Irv
Add pictures here
✖
I would advice against eating a green butternut squash as a zuch. I tried one eaarlier this year when I did't know what kind of plant was growing. it was not very tasty, in fact I'm almost sure it was dangerous as my skin was shedding a bit while I was handeling the sliced squash. actually i haven't confirmed it to be butternut squash, but based on the shape color and size I'm guessing it to be butternut squash. letting it sit on a cool place to turn color and ripen sounds like a good idea.
thanks, Simon
On Oct 10, 3:37 pm, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Irv Baker) wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Many thanks for all your advice, I have picked what I had, although they aren't ripe and now hoping they turn.
Alison
--
PennyMay

Add pictures here