butterbeans

hi y'all,

i am trying to help my mom find a type of butterbean. was wondering if y'all could help....

my step-dad says that when he was a kid they grew a type of butterbean that when boiled, the beans and the water would turn blue. we thought that he was talking about speckled butterbeans, but he insists that's not them. does anyone know what type of butterbeans he's remembering? would love to try to find some to buy for him.

thanks, rae

Reply to
rachael simpson

Steve Peek

Cornfield beans??? I hadn't heard them called that before, had to look it up! lol

Now, to figure out which one "turned" colors. Checked with my step-dad, he said there was no cast iron pots involved.....

I don't have a clue....

Reply to
rachael simpson

Wondering if he grew up on a small farm/rural area where iodine was used for water purification in which it can turn blue when it comes in contact with starches...but would think the same would happen when boiling potatoes.

There is always the drop of food coloring in the water when he isn't looking...

Lar

Reply to
Lar

Definitely a small farm/rural area.....don't know about the iodine use back then though. I'm with you on the potatoes, I would think it would turn them too.

Hadn't thought about the food coloring, but thinking of grandma and pa, i doubt they would have splurged on buying it....they didn't buy

*anything* unless it was an absolute necessary. While my step-dad had mentioned these beans in the past, he didn't really start talking about them until after pa died, and grandma don't remember what they were called. She only vaguely remembers cooking them....she's only in her early 70's, but memory hasn't been too swell the last few years, so I haven't been able to get much info from her about them.
Reply to
rachael simpson

If it was really a butterbean (lima) try Jackson Wonder. Used as green shell, they turn what I call a slate grey, but some some folks might consider it blue.

Reply to
farmerdill

Thanks! Will do Appreciate the info. Rae

Reply to
rachael simpson