burning junk mail for ash

Hi, I've been looking around the web for information of whether junk mail burnt is safe or advisable to use as a source of ash in the garden or compost pile. But I haven't found anything useful yet. This is junk mail (glossy, semi and non glossy) mostly with colour printing. Anyone any ideas?
--
Cheers,
In article <9862673105542613.NC-

Personally, I would avoid it. Especially with colour inks. That stuff might give off some rather toxic fumes while burning, and if there are any heavy metals, etc, that would still be present in the ashes.
I would suggest only burning black-print newspaper and office paper, along with wood chips/scraps, etc.
My junk mail just goes into my city recycle bin.
--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com /
snipped-for-privacy@aotearoa.invalid writes:

It's my understanding that we shouldn't burn it at all, for any reason, because of the toxins in the papers and inks (color printing). I certainly wouldn't burn paper, of any sort, just to use it for ash. It seems the environmental damage from the burning outweighs any benefit of composting. It's not quite the same as using ash from wood used for heating or cooking where we are using a byproduct of other uses. Recycling the paper through your local agencies is most preferred.
Glenna
Loki wrote:

I'm not sure I'd burn it, but it can certainly be composted (or used for mulch). The US banned heavy metals in inks years ago, and I've read from numerous sources that colored inks actually benefit the soil. Worm composting however, should not (I've read) contain colored inks.
Bubba
--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

il Mon, 03 Jan 2005 06:03:30 -0500, Bubba ha scritto:

It's a confusing world for sure. Inks probably vary a lot and I have no idea if our inks are different from the US's I've never found paper mulch pretty to look at. The birds soon have it in tatters, then the wind takes over... I'm not sure one can even recycle the highly glossy stuff - too unlike paper. Doesn't even burn that well either but in winter sometimes a source of heat is needed :-)
--
Cheers,