Bumpy Tomato Seedlings, why?

Help! My tomato plant looks healthy and seems to be growing well but the stem is covered in little purple wart-like bumps, what are they? should i worry?

I'm fairly new to gardening and would appreciate some guidance.

Viva la tomato!

Reply to
leffebee

Possibly these are the potential growth points for new roots, called root initials. The roots that grow from them are called adventitious roots. And adventitious roots are what allows tomato plants to be set deep when transplanted.

Tomato seedlings will vary in how 'bumpy' they look, based on cultivar, temperature and humidity.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz