Brussel Sprouts

My luck with Brussel Sprouts have seem to run out these last few years. The first few times I planted them they were wonderful - very tall stalks with lots of sprouts. The last few years have seen small stalks with few edible sprouts? Any suggestions? I live in Blaine, WA (perfect weather). No evidence of club root and they seem to thrive better in different parts of the garden. PH OK, nutrients seem to be OK - I'm stymied. Next year I will start seedlings earlier and plant out when bigger. Any other help much appreciated. Thanks Mark
On Monday, September 22, 2014 1:20:11 AM UTC-4, Mark wrote:

Plants in the cabbage family need small amounts of boron in order to thrive. Work in some 20 mule team borax to the soil or add a teaspoon or so to the hole at planting time. Steve
'Steve Peek[_2_ Wrote: > ;1008140']On Monday, September 22, 2014 1:20:11 AM UTC-4, Mark > wrote:[color=blue][i]

> thrive. Work in some 20 mule team borax to the soil or add a teaspoon or > so to the hole at planting time.

I'm in the foothills of Mt. Rainier WA at 1440' / 439 mts and grow Brussels sprouts every year. I make my own seed starting mix which includes a bit of boron, and the sprouts do well. EXCEPT when I use elderly seed. The old seed germinates but the plants are not robust. My go-to favorite variety has been Oliver, now unavailable. The past two years I've grown Justus and they've done quite well. HTH
--
Irene