Brussel Sprouts ?

Last year my brussel sprouts were a disaster. I followed all the instructions and ended up pulling up the plants after the frost :( Granted, it was a bad growing year here last year so a few things didn't do well. The brussel sprout plants looked healthy, the little heads started forming, and that was it. They take up a lot of space though. Any tips for getting good production? TIA

Reply to
Serendipity

Where are you located? I used to live in the South and couldn't get it to do anything, then we moved to Kansas and I did better, but nothing like I saw in Michigan.

When did you plant them and did they have plenty of time to produce, but just didn't? Fall crops seem to do better than spring crops, but you need to have them planted by June for a fall crop (at least here you do). Find out from your local extension office when they recommend you put them in the ground. I have trouble find them, so I have to start my own from seeds.

Frost doesnt hurt them. A hard freeze indicates the time to pull them out of the ground. My wife was still cutting them off after the second or third frost (they were small but edible).

Let us know how you did this year.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

I live in Tampa, Fl. and mine grew fine last year and the ones that I have growing now are doing even better. Maybe it is the soil?

Reply to
James F. Mayer