Brussel sprout crisis

I had to pull up my brussel sprout plants since it was about 10 wind chill here close to St. Louis. I dug 6 up with roots. Now they are in my basement with a florescent light. The sprouts are about 1/2 to

3/4 mature. Can I get them to keep growing or should I just harvest them now? Educate me. Thanks Joe Mc
Reply to
Farmer Joe

What was the actual temperature? Wind chill temperature means nothing to plants. No matter how strong the wind blows, the temperature of the air outside does not change. If the air temperature is above 0ºC (32ºF), plants will not freeze. In addition, Brussels' sprouts can withstand frost, in fact, most growers feel they only achieve their finest flavour after a couple of frosts. In your case, since Brussels' sprouts are fairly high water users, I think you'll be hard pressed to keep them growing now that you've disturbed the root system. IMO, you might as well harvest them now before they start to wither and dry out in your relatively warm and dry basement.

Ross. To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

Reply to
rossr35253

I agree Ross. Farmer Joe should pick them off the plant and get them into the refrigerator. Joe, how are you judging them to be half mature? By their size? The bottom sprouts size up first and get smaller farther up the stalk. All sizes are quite edible as long as they are big enough to have something firm inside.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Thanks guys: They have already had their frosts. The temp was about 20 when I pulled 'em out and they were freezing under my hoop igllos and bed sheets. The sprouts didn't seem to necessarily be larger on the bottom of the stalk at all. I am a rookie B.Sprouter. They are in my basement sink for now and I hope to do better next year. Thanks

Reply to
Farmer Joe