Broccolli flowers

Well for some reason all my plants went from 1" heads right to flowers, question: Are the stalks and flowers (yellow things) edible? Leaves are shot, but I have long stems and yellow flowers.

Reply to
wawwiz

yes, the texture will not be a nice but they will not do any harm

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I make curried cream of Broccoli soup with the stems which are not much use for any other thing other than giving to the rabbits or chooks. When the offspring studied at University and suffered the usual student poverty, a good free feed could be had by asking the veg section staff of the supermarket for the broccoli stems "to feed to my rabbit" and then using my recipe to transform said stems into something delicious.

Reply to
Fran Farmer

Some brassicas will bolt almost from seedlings if the weather is too warm.

Reply to
phorbin

My wife will eat the stems that way too, I prefer to eat the rabbit.

A nice morning here for gardeners, a light fog is watering the plants and, supposedly, the sun will be out and get us warm a little later this morning.

Reply to
George Shirley

Reply to
wawwiz

Wouldn't happen to have a recipe handy? Sounds good and guess I could sprinkle the flowers on top for color. Thanks for all the replies

Reply to
wawwiz

Melt a good sized blob of butter in a saucepan, add a chopped onion. Cook stirring now and then till the onion is translucent. Add chopped up broccoli stem, add a generous helping of chicken stock (I'd say about a pint and make it from a chicken stock cube as good quality stock makes no substantive improvement in the soup). Add curry powder to suit your taste (start with a teaspoonful). Pulverise with a stick blender (and if you want to be really posh, rub through a sieve - I don't bother), At this stage either reheat gently adding about half a cupful of cream (don't boil or it'll curdle) or, reheat and then add some cream to each individual bowlful of soup.

Reply to
Fran Farmer

At this point I should have mentioned that the soup should now simmer gently for about 20 minutes.

Pulverise with a stick blender (and

Reply to
Fran Farmer

That sounds like quite a tasty soup. To make it excellent follow the directions but substitute something else for the broccoli. Just about any vege would do, rubber floor mat in a pinch.

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

:-)) Before you dismiss the broccoli stems, I suggest you try it. It doesn't taste particularly like broccoli so is quite safe if you are a broccoli hater. It has (pleasantly surprised) a few people who have claimed to be broccoli haters.

Reply to
Fran Farmer

Add more butter for rubber floor mat.

Reply to
phorbin

I'd even suggest to prepare ' homegrown broccoli sprouts'

and add them to broccoli soups and salads. They add mild, pleasant taste and have higher nutritional value than mature broccoli.

Reply to
Jessica Alinari

Damn! Now I'm hungry...

Reply to