broccoli has failed to flower at all

My plants look pretty normal, nice big leaves etc. The only problem is, here it is August and not one of them has flowered, i.e., NO BROCCOLI! I have never had this happen before. A more typical scenario is that the plants bolt, but in most years I get some nice broccoli. May was very wet and cool, June and July very dry, and of course there was a week of quite hot weather in July. "Quite hot" means 90 or so, this is, after all, western New York and up in the hills, so we don't generally have weather as hot as most other places. Still, we did have 8 weeks with negligible rain, after setting an all time record for rainfall in May.

Any ideas? Why did this happen to my broccoli? My kale seems ok, and my brussels sprouts have grown normally but don't have any sprouts yet. Tomatoes, corn, beans and peas have done well, poor yield of potatoes. This has not been a normal summer. I didn't expect much from the potatoes, the plants were spindly, but the broccoli plants LOOK fine except for the flowering part.

Reply to
heteroscedastic

Steve Peek

Did you start from seeds or buy plants? If the former, I'd strongly suspect a mis-labeling along the way.

Small collards look like broccoli. I think broccoli raab would have some florets by now-- but I've never grown it.

The leaves are edible-- cook them up like Utica greens.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht