Broccoli

I have half a dozen broccoli plants. The plants are getting fairly big but I don't see any signs of head formation. When should I expect to see the heads start to develop?

I'm in Massachusetts, the plants were transplanted from flats about a month a go.

Reply to
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz

I've been using Miracle Grow, I've also spread 10-10-10 around the garden. The plants are growing like topsy so I don't think the plants are starved for nutrients, they just aren't producing any broccoli. My question is if this is normal for this time of year and the broccoli will come later or if there is something wrong?

Reply to
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz expounded:

Well, the part of the broccoli plant we eat are the flowers, so go light on the nitrogen. You'll get gorgeous leaves but maybe no broccoli if you keep up the Miracle Grow!

Reply to
Ann

Did you fertilize them? Or top-dress them with compost yet? You could try side-dressing with a high N fertilizer and see if they'll do something...

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora

You want blooms. Wouldn't a bloom fertilizer mix higher in Phosphorous be better than a higher N mix?

Reply to
Omelet

I'm just piling on. Forget the nitrogen. You want potassium and phosphate.

Billy Rose

Billy Rose expounded:

Piling what on, Miracle Gro? To each his own. I don't use the stuff at all. And my advice still stands. If you want blooms, lay off the nitrogen.

Reply to
Ann

Agreed.

Reply to
Omelet

Ann, next time we play football, I'd be pleased to demonstrate piling on. Except for your egregious presumption, I don't see the difference in our advice.

- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
Billy Rose

Billy Rose expounded:

See, that's what I get for posting before I've had my morning cuppa. I misread you and I apologize. But I'll pass (pun intended) on playing football - American or European!

Reply to
Ann