Broccoli

I have half a dozen broccoli plants. The plants are getting fairly big but I don't see any signs of head formation. When should I expect to see the heads start to develop?
I'm in Massachusetts, the plants were transplanted from flats about a month a go.

Did you fertilize them? Or top-dress them with compost yet? You could try side-dressing with a high N fertilizer and see if they'll do something...
Jan
--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 16:21:18 -0900, Jan Flora wrote:

I've been using Miracle Grow, I've also spread 10-10-10 around the garden. The plants are growing like topsy so I don't think the plants are starved for nutrients, they just aren't producing any broccoli. My question is if this is normal for this time of year and the broccoli will come later or if there is something wrong?

Well, the part of the broccoli plant we eat are the flowers, so go light on the nitrogen. You'll get gorgeous leaves but maybe no broccoli if you keep up the Miracle Grow!
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked

I'm just piling on. Forget the nitrogen. You want potassium and phosphate. - Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Piling what on, Miracle Gro? To each his own. I don't use the stuff at all. And my advice still stands. If you want blooms, lay off the nitrogen.
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked

Agreed.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Ann, next time we play football, I'd be pleased to demonstrate piling on. Except for your egregious presumption, I don't see the difference in our advice.
- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

See, that's what I get for posting before I've had my morning cuppa. I misread you and I apologize. But I'll pass (pun intended) on playing football - American or European! <G>
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked

You want blooms. Wouldn't a bloom fertilizer mix higher in Phosphorous be better than a higher N mix?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.