Broad beans

Helo group

UK gardener here

I am trying to solve a problem which I had last year as a newbie gardener.

50% of my broad beans were empty!...fertiliser?

I have 250 in at home and my allotment and don't really want the same problem this year.

I don't want to use man made chemical fertlisers for obvious reasons.

I have googled to distraction and can't find a 'proper' answer cos all of them want to sell me seeds or a coservatory or something.

Experienced growers in this group is my final search on this, and I would be greatful for advice.

Take care Part_No

Reply to
Part_No

Worth a few minutes .

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Did they flower well? If not you may have a soil fertility problem, try a potash supplement. Sulphate of potash (potassium sulphate) is generally accepted by organic farmers despite being out of a "test tube". If you cannot accept that then your choices are quite limited as there are few natural products that are really high in potassium. Some manures and composts contain a bit. You can make actual potash (by burning plant material) but it will be alkaline, which may or may not be good for your soil. You may be able to source some other organic supplement that will suit.

If they did flower well your problem could be two things. Broad beans will wind pollinate to some extent but pollination is greatly increased by bees. Are bees common around the plants during their flowering season?

The other problem is the beans could be too inbred. Have you tried seed from different sources?

I don't want to sell you anything but if anything I say turns out to actually fix the problem please let me know.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott