brandywines and heat

Just wondering if anyone with this Gulf Coast heat has tried growing Brandywines and how did they fair?
On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 22:42:59 GMT, "Norma Briggs"

I'm in South Carolina, zone 8A, and they grow very well for me.
Penelope
Some people say they tend to crack and don't produce heavily. I'd say that is sort of the case, but their taste is the standard by which all other tomatoes are judged.

Well then...I suppose the taste is worth it :)
Hi, Norma.
I've grown them here in NW FL a couple of times. My experience is that fruit set is poor, especially when it starts to get hot. And they die off fairly early in the season (July) due to one disease or another. The birds, squirrels, stink bugs, and fruit worms like them, too - they eat the fruit from the Brandywines before they touch any of my other tomatoes!
OTOH, the (very) few I've managed to harvest were extremely tasty.
I'd say if you have the room to experiment, go for it - but don't rely on them for your main crop. Think of them as a special treat.
I'd get them started ASAP in the season (if you're right along the Gulf Coast, now is the time to set out transplants) so they'll have time to produce something before the heat and diseases get them this summer.
I don't have any Brandywine seedlings started now. But I think I'll try a Brandywine as a fall crop this year; maybe in October the bugs will leave me a few more.
I've had somewhat better luck with Burpee's hybrid called "Brandy Boy" - I have the same problems with diseases and critters, but the plants set a lot more fruit, so I end up harvesting a few more. They are *almost* as good. I will be setting out one of these plants this weekend.
Another really tasty variety I have tried is Ferry-Morse's "Top Sirloin" hybrid - it's excellent, a close second to Brandywine IMO. And it usually produces pretty well for me. Sadly, the last of my "Top Sirloin" seeds failed to germinate this year. I haven't found any more of this variety locally - I guess I'll have to Google.
Good luck! Laura
NW FL USDA Zone 8b

Thanks! I find that by July I am too am worn out from battling stink bugs and the heat! Stink bugs do seem to love tomatoes and I have yet to find anything to control them that I feel comfortable putting on food.

I always start a few brandy wines. I am doing the suddeth strain and a black brandywine. I am in Central texas and yes, they are not the nicest looking or most productive tomato but they do havge a good taste and are worth trying.