Bok choy seeding

My bok choy has bolted and is now forming seed pods . Anybody have experience with when to harvest them ? Any dishes that use the pods/seeds ?

Reply to
Terry Coombs

The pods will go from moist and green to dry and brown. When they start to split or you can rub them into seeds and chaff between your hands the seeds are ready to save. I have no knowledge of them being used for food or seasoning only to grow more plants. They would not be toxic so you can experiment. Maybe grind them up for mustard(ish) or sprinkle on to bread before baking.

David Hare-Scott

You could probably pick them when small and use them the same way that radish pods are used, usually to make pickles but also as an ingredient in stir-fries.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

I'm going to go ahead and let these dry , use them for seed for a fall planting . One of my goals here is to have seed that is fully acclimatized to this area . Part of my acorn squash is grown from last year's seeds . There are several cukes out there from last year's seed , but they're all volunteers , and a couple of radishes from where last year's seeded .

Reply to
Terry Coombs