Blueberry pollination?

I was given a single blueberry plant several years ago but I understand tha t several plants are needed to achieve pollination. Is it possible I could split this root-ball up to produce the several necessary plants? It seems t o be a late summer variety. Since I don't know what variety it is I don't k now how I would buy more of them.
On Saturday, October 18, 2014 12:17:24 AM UTC-4, Davej wrote:

d split this root-ball up to produce the several necessary plants? It seems to be a late summer variety. Since I don't know what variety it is I don't know how I would buy more of them.
Splitting the plant won't help, you must have a different variety. Knowing what genus you have would be helpful. Where are you and at what elevation?
Steve Peek wrote:

If he were to go buy 2 bushes that do well in his climate he'd be certain to have a different variety for polination . One of our local groceries has a very nice nursery - with a very knowledgeable young lady to help . Davej , I'd bet you have a place with a very knowledgeable person near you too . Use their knowledge , and buy from them .
--
Snag

On Saturday, October 18, 2014 11:27:37 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

Not necessarily, Snag, at least in my area. It's common in my area to see b oth rabbiteye and northern highbush at the same garden shop. They are from a different genera and won't pollinate each other. Therefore, he must buy t wo rabbiteye and two northern highbush to be certain of good pollination. R abbiteye is Vaccineum asheii and northern highbush is V. corymbosum.
On Sunday, October 19, 2014 10:29:57 AM UTC-5, Steve Peek wrote:

That is the problem, since I have no idea what variety I was given. Next year when I notice this plant flowering I will go visit the local plant-sellers and see if they have any blueberries that are also in flower.
Thanks,
Dave near STL
On Monday, October 20, 2014 10:09:36 PM UTC-4, Davej wrote:

Don't think that will help unless the nursery is at exactly the same orientation and elevation. I have 700 or so plants between 1900' and 2050' and the bloom time can vary by as much as a week or more.
Considering your location, I would try Northern Highbush for pollination.
Steve Peek wrote:

Just show how little I know about blueberries . Up here we have wild "low bush huckleberries" growing out in the woods . I gave up beating the critters to them years ago .
--
Snag