Blueberry pollination?

I was given a single blueberry plant several years ago but I understand tha t several plants are needed to achieve pollination. Is it possible I could split this root-ball up to produce the several necessary plants? It seems t o be a late summer variety. Since I don't know what variety it is I don't k now how I would buy more of them.

Reply to
Davej

hat several plants are needed to achieve pollination. Is it possible I coul d split this root-ball up to produce the several necessary plants? It seems to be a late summer variety. Since I don't know what variety it is I don't know how I would buy more of them.

Splitting the plant won't help, you must have a different variety. Knowing what genus you have would be helpful. Where are you and at what elevation?

Reply to
Steve Peek

If he were to go buy 2 bushes that do well in his climate he'd be certain to have a different variety for polination . One of our local groceries has a very nice nursery - with a very knowledgeable young lady to help . Davej , I'd bet you have a place with a very knowledgeable person near you too . Use their knowledge , and buy from them .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Not necessarily, Snag, at least in my area. It's common in my area to see b oth rabbiteye and northern highbush at the same garden shop. They are from a different genera and won't pollinate each other. Therefore, he must buy t wo rabbiteye and two northern highbush to be certain of good pollination. R abbiteye is Vaccineum asheii and northern highbush is V. corymbosum.

Reply to
Steve Peek

Just show how little I know about blueberries . Up here we have wild "low bush huckleberries" growing out in the woods . I gave up beating the critters to them years ago .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

That is the problem, since I have no idea what variety I was given. Next year when I notice this plant flowering I will go visit the local plant-sellers and see if they have any blueberries that are also in flower.

Thanks,

Dave near STL

Reply to
Davej

Don't think that will help unless the nursery is at exactly the same orientation and elevation. I have 700 or so plants between 1900' and 2050' and the bloom time can vary by as much as a week or more.

Considering your location, I would try Northern Highbush for pollination.

Reply to
Steve Peek