Blueberries

I have one blueberry plant which is planted in the top of a planter containing strawberry plants. Each year it gets a reasonable amount of blueberries but they don't ripen. Any ideas why?
--
Moppet

Moppet wrote:

likely needs more sun.
might do ok if you take some of the berries off so the rest can ripen.
might need added nutrients P and K.
might need more room.
might be the wrong variety for that location.
songbird
On Thursday, October 18, 2012 11:45:50 PM UTC-6, songbird wrote:

Probably needs some acid in the soil...a dilute vinegar solution wouldn't hurt.

Or some elemental sulfur.
--
Welcome to the New America.
<

Moppet said:

I was under the impression that it was best to have two different blueberry cultivars in close proximity to ensure cross pollination and better fruit set.
Failure to set and ripen fruit is due to either lack of pollination, stress due to improper culture (pruning, water, soil, fertilizer), disease or pests.
A google search turns up that blueberries might fail to ripen if they are attacked by the Holly Midge.
<http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/problems/holly-berry-midge - pests.htm>
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

What do you mean by a planter, a bed, or a container?
--
Welcome to the New America.
<

What kind of blueberry? There are more than 40 species of Vaccinium in North America alone. There is at least one species that ripens a very tart green berry. Steve