Blueberries

I have one blueberry plant which is planted in the top of a planter containing strawberry plants. Each year it gets a reasonable amount of blueberries but they don't ripen. Any ideas why?

Reply to
Moppet

likely needs more sun.

might do ok if you take some of the berries off so the rest can ripen.

might need added nutrients P and K.

might need more room.

might be the wrong variety for that location.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Probably needs some acid in the soil...a dilute vinegar solution wouldn't hurt.

Reply to
Roy

I was under the impression that it was best to have two different blueberry cultivars in close proximity to ensure cross pollination and better fruit set.

Failure to set and ripen fruit is due to either lack of pollination, stress due to improper culture (pruning, water, soil, fertilizer), disease or pests.

A google search turns up that blueberries might fail to ripen if they are attacked by the Holly Midge.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Or some elemental sulfur.

Reply to
Billy

What do you mean by a planter, a bed, or a container?

Reply to
Billy

Reply to
Steve Peek

What kind of blueberry? There are more than 40 species of Vaccinium in North America alone. There is at least one species that ripens a very tart green berry. Steve

Reply to
Steve Peek