Blueberries

I have two bushes one is ok and the other is not doing so well (n
leaves). They are both in containers. In the past I have given the them ta water but from now on it is only rain water. They are out in the patio. They are about 2 years old and have neve even had flowers let alone fruit. What can I do ? BTW I live in London, England and in the past they were inside. Wa that a mistake
-- davholla

Unless they are self-pollinating, one has to be male and the other female. (I think).

I have know people who kept blueberry bushes indoors and got nice crops.
Dick
blueberrys need a 4.5 ph level, if levels above 5.0 you will begin to see signs of stress in the plant
and by the way, check out hydroponic blueberries, i am off into these shortly, strawberries are happening FINE!
Dick Adams wrote:

"davholla" wrote ...

Blueberries need highly acid soil. I grow mine outdoors in large pots of ericaceous compost. I've used tap water in the summer, and they don't appear to suffer from it. At this time of year the bushes shouldn't have any foliage on them. I think (not certain) that they need a period of cold weather in order to grow well.
A Google search brings up lots of information:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0801/blueberry_care.asp http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_growingblueberries.shtml http://www.suffolkblues.co.uk/growers-notes.html
Regards.
davholla Wrote:

I have never heard of a male and a female blueberry bush. I have the growing as a hedge along the front of my house and the thing abou blueberries is you need two different varieties for them to produce They also like very acid soil. I put pine needles around mine for th acid. It works very well
-- Maryc
davholla Wrote:

I actually don't have pine trees myself but others living around me do They rake up the needles once in a while and then I get them from them I usually mulch the berries once a year with the needles
-- Maryc