Blueberries

My Blueberries are starting to ripen. I planted them along the fron o
my house as a hedge. The Robin's however are trying to beat me to th ripe berries. So I have been picking them before they are full ripened and letting them ripen in my house. I'm hoping that they wil taste just as good
-- Maryc

They won't. Blueberries do not further develop the sugars after picking. Throw some netting over the plants to keep the birds off.
sdb
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com
I would cover them with netting or get out very early in the am and pick the ones that are ready before the robins get around to it. My problem was the mowing lady kept eating them before I could get to them. It was my wife so I couldn't yell at her.
Dwayne

I tasted a few after I let them ripen in the house and they did seem t
be pretty sweet. Maybe it is the varieties that I have. I have Jerse and Elizabeth and a couple of other varieties that I don't remembe what they were. I am getting a few berries theough by picking them jus a little before they are ripe.
Dwayne Wrote:

-- Maryc
in article snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk, Maryc at snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk wrote on 6/12/05 1:25 PM:

For some reason, birds mostly leave my blueberries alone. I live along the coast of LA. I do find that that last bit of ripening plumps them up and makes them much sweeter than when they are almost ripe. The variety is Sharp. I have been picking them for about two months. The individual berries ripen at different times so that I have to work in the hunter-gatherer mode.
Bill
Me too!!
I only get a few each morning. My bushes are quite young though. I hav some that I just planted this year to replace other bushes. THe othe bushes were some kind of gooseberry that the nersery guy talked me int buying and I hated the berries. So I dug them out and put in th blueberries that I wanted in the first place. Now I am much happier :)
Repeating Rifle Wrote:

-- Maryc