blossoms dropping off egg plants (aka aubergines)

I have a problem with my egg plant blossoms. They fall off while in full bloom. The stem of the blossom is severed about 15 mm behind the blossom itself.
Looked at the break with a lens. It looks like it has snapped, rather than been eaten through.
Have put down snail bait in case the weight of a snail is snapping the stem.
Does anybody have any suggestions about the cause of the problem?
Richard Wright said:

Night-time temperatures too low or too high (should range between 15 - 25 deg C)
Day-time temperatures too high (over 32 deg C)
Lack of pollination (no pollinators)
Drying winds (affects pollen viability)
Birds (young starlings pull blossoms off of eggplants and squash in my garden -- diagnostic of this are beak-shaped marks on the *flower*)