black bottom tomatoes

my crop of tomatoes is not so great. Some of the fruit has black, flat bottoms. What is this, what causes this and can I prevent it. Any help, thanks
Bottom rot or Blossom End Rot. Too late to fix it this year-I had that problem last year. The soil needs some chemicals-I stand remember which ones, but ask your local garden store and till them into the soil early next year. One note: if you also grow cukes(squash, etc.) in that garden, they do not like the chemicals for tomatoes. Keep that soil separate.
Sly boots 9 wrote:

lemme check on the chemical.
Noydb wrote:

Apparently my tomatoes have Blossom end rot as well, the top of the fruit looks beautiful but th bottoms are horrid. I've notived tht the bottom most leaves on the plant turn yellow and get small brown spots all over them. Does this have anything to do with Blossom end rot or is it another problem that i can remedy by adding somethig to the soil? Thank you :) -- Weirdo Magnet ------------------------------------------------------------------------ posted via www.GardenBanter.co.uk
Weirdo Magnet wrote:

Lime.
Noydb wrote:

It's just lime. Cukes do not like a lot of lime in the soil.

akaline and is used to sweeten overly acid soil.Lime amendments usually contain the elements calcium and magnesium. Both are secondary plant nutrients and are necessary for the plants good health. A ph test of the soil should be made now. If any is needed lime is best added in the off season.

Frankhartx wrote:

Ahhh ... that is why the below advice is so good. There are other ways to add calcium to a soil that do not raise the pH, though.
Like my suggestion of adding oyster shell food supplement tablets at planting time.

--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)
Blossom end rot http://www.ianr.unl.edu/pubs/horticulture/nf43.htm