bitter lemon cucumber

For the first time, I find that some of my lemon cucumbers are very bitter. They look really good, beautifully round -- but before I could use them, I have to take a small slice and taste test. Any reason why they are bitter?
/z.
Cukes usually get bitter when they don't get enough water or inconsistent watering.