Biochar

peoples use what this person (Mann) calls a slash and burn technique that equivocates to present "slash and burn" techniques.. Same term meaning different things in different time periods. In fact, I call it convenient conventionism for ease of understanding by scholars and others that have no usatory knowledge (common sense developed by actual use and associative knowledge of same in the past). So, the way I look at it, there is no basis for the argument you propose. But, I'm not a smart as you, Billy...

Reply to
Dioclese

I'm inclined to agree with you. Amazonians started slashing and burning about five hundred years ago as a way to escape their cities which had become incubators for European diseases. Slash and burning doesn't allow one to stay in the same area too long because the soil rapidly loses the nutrients that it has because of the laterite soil. The "terra preta" comes from a stable culture that doesn't migrate, doesn't slash and burn, but slowly added the charcoal into the soil and created orchards. Slash and burn vs. slash and char. This isn't fun any more. I quit.

Reply to
Billy