Bhut jolokia pepper seeds

I was curious if i should buy these seeds from a local grower since the seeds would come from plants already growing in my climate and may be more acclimatized than buying them overseas with a different climate. I'm in Southern Calif. I think its too late to plant them now so will have to wait until next year.

Reply to
shareyourknowledge

My guess would be that acclimatization is mostly a matter of probabilities, that the local seeds differ from the overseas seeds in gene expression frequencies, and that a batch of overseas seeds would have all the options that the local seeds do ... and maybe more. That is, odds are that normal genetic variation within a batch of seeds from a different climate will yield a set of plants adapted to your climate, and your plants may actually have some genes that have been lost within the local gene pool.

Reply to
Jon Shemitz

Certainly, if you are assured they are true to type.

Why not try a few now? You have nothing to lose other than a few seeds. SoCal should have a long growing season. Heat and humidity are factors that effect the heat of the pepper.

're talkin' 90 days for green from transplant, 120 for red. Do you have that much time in your zone? Try a direct seed, rather than a transplant from seedlings.

Wow, your mouth must be acclimatized to some serious heat!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

If you are costal southern California, these peppers may even be perennial in your region. Heck, harvest would start in Oct. If you have the seeds already, give it a go.

Last year I grew me a 2 year supply of habaneros from 6 plants. Growing Ja-lap-pen-noz this year. Less heat, better flavor but then, I always work in a little of last year's heat.

Billy Rose