Best tomato ever

There is already a tomato thread going but it's broadly focused. On this thread I'm asking what's your single favorite tomato variety. My candidate is the Sun Gold Cherry, incredibly sweet and a terrific producer.

I love Pineapple. Red and yellow bi-color. Big for slicing, sweet and not too acidic.
marcella

If I could only plant one variety it would be Cherokee Purple. Excellent flavor & good producer.

If my only uses for tomatoes were for sandwiches and salads I would agree. But my main uses are for sauces which I can and I can't quite see Cherokee Purple for that.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

For me it would be the "Bonny Best". Good all purpose medium size round tomato: for fresh eating, canning and making sauce. Not perfect for each category, but can work in every category for tomato uses.

Any problems with BER on your sauce tomatoes? Only paste tomato that ever gave me BER problems was San Marzano. It was on drip irrigation. Never made any sense to me. There was a half dozen. Once I realized the problem I'd cut off the rotten end, when practical, and cook the rest.
--
<http://www.democracynow.org/blog/2011/3/7/michael_moore
<

That's why I nominated Grosse Lisse. It's one of those old fashioned one's that works for sauces or for salads.

Grosse Lisse.
General Schvantzkoph said:

I'm partial to it's sibling, SunSugar. Same orange color, very similar in taste, and a bit less likely to split while on the vine.
I thought I hated cherry tomatoes until these showed up.
Favorite ox-heart (very meaty type of tomato): Kosovo
Favorite yellow: Aunt Gertie's Gold, with Persimmon a close second
Lovely to look at (and still good to eat): Royesta. Has been very reliable for me. You want to give someone a beautiful tomato, this one is it.
I've tried a lot of tomato varieties, and will keep trying others, but these are real keepers. There are others I've liked a lot that were less reliable or had some major flaws. (Green zebra and blossom end rot, I'm looking at you!)
As for paste tomatoes, one I used grow regularly doesn't appear to be in any of my preferred catalogs anymore (LaRossa). I prefer determinates, for the concentrated harvest.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

General Schvantzkoph wrote:

Better Boy. I wish the best variety was some exotic or interesting heirloom, but it's not, it's a modern hybrid.
-Bob

I hate to say this, But I like any kind of cherry or grape tomato. No muss no fuss, Pick and eat. Or put in a salad. and I did cut them in half for a mayo sandwich. Last year. Around here they are about $3.99 a pint. I planted some hillbilly tomatoes last summer. They were ok. And once apon a time I loved those neon green zebra tomatoes. Breaded and fried in a pan .
If it wasn't for the fact that I don't eat those grilled outside homemade giant cheeseburgers anymore.With lettuce , tomato and ketchup and mustard Or BLTs. Id want a big slicer.
Jesus you guys made me hungry.
Diesel.