Best Plants to attract bees.

Have setup an artificial bee-hive.

What plants are suggested to attract bees?

Brian

Reply to
tvrchimaera

Artificial bees don't need plants , just dust 'em off every once in a while .

Snag I have REAL bees ... if in fact you do too , go to

and find a wealth of information . As far as bee-attractive plants , they like pretty much anything that has a flower . The problem is that you'd need like

5 acres in bee forage plants to make much difference .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Terry Coombs wrote: ...

a mix of flowers that bloom from the earliest spring time to the latest fall.

and even a little can help, especially for the smaller and more diverse native bee species.

we don't have five acres here, but i see a great deal of bee activity from many species through the whole season. it depends a lot upon what else is around that bees might find. in this area, not much is blooming other than a few weeds along the ditches so the bees are not finding much food elsewhere, corn doesn't do much for them as compared to a diverse planting.

for early season flowers we have crocus and some real early irises (which are out now at last). then we go into daffodils, tulips, more early irises, hyacynths, strawberries, honeysuckle, clover, alfalfa, trefoil, dandelion, chicory, ... the latest blooming plants we see here are the asters.

most planting guides will give you a range of time when a plant "normally" blooms, but that can vary somewhat season to season.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I have seeds for a variety of bee-friendly plants , and one of the things I looked at was timing/duration of bloom . It looks like everything is about to happen at once here . The bee hive needs to be split , the seedlings all need to be planted , and I need to get the rest of the direct-seeded stuff in the ground . And the damn Anaheim peppers still haven't germinated .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Clover is a good one for early spring. You might not be able to find it at your local garden center though. Most of the time is grows wild in peoples lawns. Bebalm is another one for late spring/early summer. Given the right conditions it can spread so you may need to keep an eye on it.

Reply to
wg_2002

I'm having the same damn problems! arrgh

Reply to
Chewbacka