best catalogs for heirloom vegetable seeds and organic root stock

What are the best catalogs for heirloom or open polinated seeds. I particularly interested i seeds that are not treated with fincicide and catalogs that show what zone the plant can be grown in. I am also interested in organicly grown root stock for strawberries, rasberries and asparagus for Zone 9.

Reply to
HPBudlong

Baker's Creek Heirloom Seeds has lots of heirlooms, and is organic; but I don't know that they indicate zone, since most vegetables are annuals.

Seed Savers is my favorite for heirlooms, and they do indicate is the seeds are certified organic or not; but not all their stock is certified organic. Certification is expensive, and not all small producers can afford it. They also indicate in the descriptions if a plant requires a longer, hotter, or cooler season, but once again, they don't list zones for their vegetables.

Southern Exposure Seed Exchange is another good one. Like Seed Savers, they indicate which of their seeds are certified organic, and also have the seed that while not certified, is grown organically. As their name suggests, they emphasize varieties adapted to the South, and they don't list zones. They have a very helpful staff who answered some of my questions in my continuing struggle against the Thrips and their Weapon of Mass Destruction, Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus.

Seeds of Change is another good one, I believe everything they have is certified organic.

You might also try reading the thread " seed catalongs" to get the names of other catalogs to check. Just google on the name to see if they have a web site.

hth

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle