Beetles on my tomato Plants

Page 2 of 2

| > I have posted a couple of pictures on the web of these bugs. | > http://community.webshots.com/photo/170887282/170887500jqBNuV | > | I just discovered a black beetle type bug on my tomato leaves. | The have | > | attacked my cherry tomatoes and none other. I noticed them on | dandelions | > | before but not in my garden. What can they be and how can I get | rid of | > | them? | | Judging from the picture, my guess is click beetles. The beetles in | your picture have the right shape and color for click beetles. The key | for me is the way the head angles from the thorax. Click beetles can | fly, but in particular they sort of jump when disturbed, with a | clicking sound (hence the name). I've never known them to particularly | attracted to tomatoes, but they may be in search of moisture. | | Since these are eating your tomatoes, a stomach poison, such as | Rotenone, would be a good way to kill them. However, you probably | don't want to be spraying poisons on your tomatoes, although Rotenone | is comparatively benign. | | Guy Bradley | Chesterfield MO | zone 6 | | It looks very similar to the click beetle, only it's legs are black like the body. I noticed that they are constantly extending their body so that it is longer than the wings and the hard cover over the wings. Does that make since to anyone?
It is the blister beetle. Thanks for all of the help. I found a exact match with picture and information. http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/icm/1998/9-14-1998/blisterb.html Wow what a nasty creature. Thanks to Pat Kiewicz for the lead. Anna
| I just discovered a black beetle type bug on my tomato leaves. The have | attacked my cherry tomatoes and none other. I noticed them on dandelions | before but not in my garden. What can they be and how can I get rid of | them? | I live in southern Oregon if that is of help. | Thanks | Anna | |