be careful of cheap mulch

Just received this from a friend. I do not know if it's true, but sure is worth considering. Cindy

Shortcut to:

If you use mulch around your house be very careful about buying mulch this year. After the Hurricane in New Orleans many trees were blown over. These trees were then turned into mulch and the state is trying to get rid of tons and tons of this mulch to any state or company who will come and haul it away. So it will be showing up in Home Depot and Lowes at dirt cheap prices with one huge problem; Formosan Termites will be the bonus in many of those bags. New Orleans is one of the few areas in the country were the Formosan Termites has gotten a strong hold and most of the trees blown down were already badly infested with those termites. Now we may have the worst case of transporting a problem to all parts of the country that we have ever had. These termites can eat a house in no time at all and we have no good control against them, so tell your friends that own homes to avoid cheap mulch and know were it came from.

Cindy

Oh, lovely...

Thanks for the warning!

Fortunately, I make my own mulch. I have a chipper.

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

And, for a more balanced review of the potential problem:

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Hey the mere possibility is enough for me....

Reply to
Cindy

I have heard news reports say that because of the termite problem wood products are/were to be either buried or burned. That's not to say this is indeed happening or that unscroupulous folks are grinding trees and selling the product.

Oh...and not all trees knocked down by the hurricane are termite infested. Very viable trees went down because of wind and water. However, those little critters are pretty quick so any trees on the ground for any length of time may now have become termite restaurants.

Bill W

Reply to
wildbill