Bay laurel

I have a bay laurel in a pot in the kitchen window (killer frosts are predicted this week) and, after a season of vigorous growth, it needs cutting back. What is the best time for pruning? Graham
I would think fall is the best time. I just pinch mine as I need leafs. I take from the ends to promote bushier growth. They can grow up to 40 feet tall.
I just put a bunch of leafs in my pantry to stop the grain moths from hatching.

Thanks! I doubt that mine will ever reach that! The climate in Alberta won't allow it unless I build a bloody great greenhouse{;-) Graham
I have one in the back yard and we get frost all winter with a severe frost maybe twice a winter. Doesn't even blink. Also if it needs pruning you're not using enough! Give away leaves to your friends and yes, use them in your cupboards and jars. jules
Graham wrote:

I doubt that your climate is quite the same as Alberta, Canada. I am thinking that theirs is more like hard freeze most of the winter.

I bring my bay plants inside for the winter here in Northern New Jersey. They aren't the happiest, but they make it through just fine.
Boron
On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 08:46:16 -0400, Boron Elgar

Here in western NC my bay and Meyer lemon trees go into the greenhouse in winter. Maybe I can bring them into the house this winter since the cat who liked the stand next to the window is no longer with us. I could leave it inside until I have to turn the heat on in the greenhouse when it is time to start my plants, probably February.
A friend of mine in Virginia Beach had a bay tree that was over 2 stories tall. She had it cut down because it was so close to the house and the area is prone to hurricanes.
I'm in SE Tennessee and have to Bay trees that are in the ground, the oldest has been there for ten years and is about 20 feet tall. Since I ride a bike all year, I keep track of the temperature and the lowest it has been in that time was 5 degrees F. The smaller has been planted about 5 years and stands about 7' tall. The larger has been blooming for 4 years and the other looks like it will bloom next year. I pull leaves all year and sometimes have to cut off whole branches to get out the back door. If you top the tree or cut off branches partway, the tree will bush, they respond well to pruning. My Mom grew a Bay on the Delaware Bay for several years before her condo burned down and killed the tree, they will withstand alot more than people believe. Today I just decanted a batch of Bay extract and turned part of that into Bay liquer, with a good size tree instead of one in a pot, one can play. Pat, snipped-for-privacy@vol.com
The Cook wrote:

Last winter the temp went down to -35C, -42C with windchill. Bay trees don't like that! (BTW -40C = -40F). Graham

Since it is in the house, I would think any time would be fine.

Thanks! Will do after this season's leaves have hardened off. Graham