Basil leaves drooping

Hi.

My Basil plant leaves are drooping, I have three theories,

1.) I am watering too much (watered it 3 times in one day when I saw it drooping)

2.) Pot is too small (pretty large plant in small pot)

3.) Very Very well drained soil (may be letting moistuire out too fast

I know all of these need resolving but which is the most urgent and which is the most likely to have caused my poor basil plant to droop :(

KELP!!! PWEASE!!!

Reply to
Gardener22

Is it outdoors or in a window or greenhouse where it might have been exposed to unusually cold temperatures? That would add another possible cause. (Comes to my mind as a possibility because large part of the eastern and central US has suffered unseasonably cold weather recently.)

Dig a finger down into the soil in the pot.

Is the soil in the pot wet (and maybe has 'off' odor)? This is bad. If some sort of fungal root-rot has set in, the basil may be doomed.

Or is the soil dry? When potting soil gets too dry it can be hard to re-wet. Water tends to run right through the pot rather than be absorbed. In which case, you need to set the pot in a bucket of water until it fully moistens.

The too small pot issue makes the probability of being too dry too often a likely thing.

If the basil does recover, it would be best to re-pot it in a more appropriately sized container.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz