Bare root fruit tree

I've already stuck a bareroot apricot into the ground, and it seemed for the longest time that it was just a dead stick, but now it is covered with buds which run up its trunk (4" or so), and out onto its 3 six inch branches (there were 4 but one seems to have been broken). It seems reasonable to me to remove the buds on the trunk, and leave the dozen or so on the branches. Or do I want to leave the buds to invigorate the tree, and trim them off, and shape the tree next winter? Any suggestions?
--
E Pluribus Unum

Know where your money is tonight?
(fringe political BS snipped)
Really walter? At least let the thing get its baby teeth before you start screwing it up.
Billy wrote:

i've not done apricots but is it a grafted tree? if so might want to keep an eye on the lower buds to make sure you're not growing out suckers.
songbird

No, it's a genetic dwarf (miniature), not supposed to get taller than 10 ft (3M).
I think I'll remove all the buds below the first branch (about 6 of them), and any others that aren't separated from each other by 2 nodes. That will still leave over a dozen buds, and then I'll try to shape it next year, but I'm open to suggestions.
--
E Pluribus Unum

Know where your money is tonight?
In article

I removed the buds on the trunk below the first branch, and left about 24 buds, but I'm having second thoughts about some of them. The ones that worry me are on the under side of the branches. I think I need to take them out too, as those will end up being weak.
Oh, it's a Pixie-Cot genetic dwarf. I'm hoping for a tree in the 7' to 8' range.
--
E Pluribus Unum

Know where your money is tonight?

The first year for a bare root plant I usually let everything grow. Then in the winter I pick out a good shoot and prune everything else away. This seems to give the root system a good start. Steve

I guess I was wondering, if with fewer buds those that were left would grow more luxuriantly, but you make a good point about the root system. Since it's raining today, and supposed to rain the rest of the week, I think my choice has been made. I'll stay dry, and the buds can stay. Thanks.
--
E Pluribus Unum

Know where your money is tonight?
Billy wrote: ...

trimming later after woody growth has happened means the tree has to heal a woody cut instead of a bud removal scar. i think the plant looks nicer. that is just me. i seem to recall that it also helps keep down the number of later sprouts from below.
i think with removing a few buds you won't harm much at all, especially early in the season. it's got plenty of time to recover any deficit.
repeated defoliation i would worry about, but for some reason i don't think that is what you are aiming at. ;)
songbird