Bare root asian pear fruiting in first year

I planted a bare root asian pear without much pruning (removed 2 lower branches out of a total 5) back in March. It didn't grow very well as I don't see much side branches coming out but the leaves are big and healthy.

3 weeks ago it starts flowering (for the 2nd time, 1st was in April) and now I see 4 pieces of small fruits. What should I do about them? Shall I remove them to prevent them from drawing too much nutritions or let them fruit and taste my luck?
Reply to
John Smith

Yes, they need another Asian for pollination--some are better than others--but a Bartlett will also work. I think that one of the nurseries--possibly Miller's--has one where they've grafted several varieties on one trunk. Those trees are sometimes just a mess, but perhaps in this case they are not. At any rate, the Asians are smallish trees, so it's worthwhile finding a spot for more!

Cheers, Sue

Reply to
SugarChile

I planted one next to a regular pear. It bloomed, the other died and was replaced. However, the Asian pear that bloomed didn't produce any fruit. I was told they needed to cross-pollinate with another pear, but had hoped I could accidentally get some anyway, but no luck. Maybe next year. Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne