bannanas in San Diego?

Greetings,

I've lived in San Diego, CA since 1969 and am now seeing (for the first time) bananas growing on the local banana palm trees. Right in my backyard. The latitude here in app 32.75 N, and I did not think that bananas could produce fruit at this latitude.

Right now they're about 1/2 the size of store produce and still green.

Anyone else ever grow edible bananas this far North?

tia,

Bob Doyle

Reply to
Bob Doyle

South Eastern Connecticut --- indoors under lights. We gave out bannana bread to all our disbelieving friends last year. Charlie

Reply to
Charles E. Elias

I can remember a banana plant flowering and setting fruit in Orange, CA (33 47N), where I lived until moving to San Diego County 20 years ago. And, there is a rare fruit growers association in Fallbrook (32 44N) and at least a couple of exotic fruit ranches there that include fruiting bananas in their collection. I know little to nothing about growing bananas; but, as I understand, they will flower and set fruit if the micro-climate is right. I think they need more than a year of frost free temps to do so; and, after that, the stalk dies and should be cut back to the ground where a new plant will emerge from an underground rhizome. I'd check around for more info before getting the pruning saw out though, I could be wrong. :-)

Rich

Reply to
Rich McCormack

Years ago I remember reading about a place that grew bananas commercially on a small scale along the central coast. They grew unusual varieties. There were several articles in various cooking magazines/ AAA mag and travel type stories on the local tv shows. I haven't been that way in a few years and don't know if they are still around.

I have several friends here in San Mateo who have bananas growing and fruiting in their yards. A few hours north of you :-)

It happens. We have lots of weird little microclimates in CA.

marcella

Reply to
Marcella Tracy Peek

I was wondering if anyone else remembered that story. That place grew dozens of banana varieties. They were on a narrow bit of land with the ocean on one side and steep cliffs on the other side. I guess that guaranteed the area would never freeze. I don't remember exactly where the place was/is but it was definitely in California somewhere.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Hey! I found something on it...

see!? we weren't dreaming

Reply to
Marcella Tracy Peek

Good work Marcella. I considered doing a search but didn't have time at that moment.

I remember the mention of the variety called "ice cream". I can picture a man taste testing that one, which makes me wonder if I saw it on TV. I wonder if it was a segment on the Victory Garden TV show?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Here in OZ one of the largest banana growing areas is Coff's Harbour on the east coast, about 31 deg. south. I have grown some in Melbourne at about 37 deg. south.

Paul Cordell.

Reply to
Pablo

Stokes Tropicals has a variety that you may be able to grow OUTDOORS in your location-it's an ultra cold hardy banana variety from Asia, I think. Not sure of the name.

Craig

Reply to
King Pineapple