Avocados from seeds? Any tips?

Page 2 of 2

You could always go down to your local tractor supply company store and get an electric fence charger and a few yards of wire. Squirrels are really hard to keep out of a tree, but two strands of electric fence (one too low to crawl under, and one too high to jump over) will do the trick quite nicely.
Of course, that assumes that there aren't any other trees close enough for the tree rats to jump from one to the other.
Other solution? Squirrel pot pie, of course!
Ray

I like squirrel quartered and lightly sauteed in extra virgin olive oil with a touch of garlic. ;-) They are surprisingly tender and tasty!
Be sure to get them very wet tho' before you skin them so the fur does not shed all over the meat! One of my co-workers taught me that trick.
:-) He grew up eating squirrel and I have fond memories of having the ones that dad shot when we went boondocking during the summer when I was little. Mom used to make squirrel stew.
K.
--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<
Shystev99 wrote:

Once you've gotten it to grow: snip every 20 cm or so. That way it'll divide. If you don't snip you'll end up with a 2 m broomstick with a couple leaves at the top.
Hetta, BTDT.
--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed

Thanks, I planted it today using the pot method I found on a website. http://www.ucavo.ucr.edu/AvocadoWebSite%20folder/AvocadoWebSite/General/An swers.html#anchor1425491
Top paragraph, It says to cut the top 1/4 inch off the top of the seed, place it in moist soil and wait. I'm gonna give it a try and see what happens. I do have one more uneaten avocado lying around, It will have a much smaller seed so what I may do is do the toothpick thing again with it. I tried the toothpick and water thing before and it split in half and nothing happened so I was kind of dissapointed with it. I'll have the potted seed and water method side by side as soon as we decide to cut into it. I'll give em both 6 - 8 weeks if nothing happens by say mid April, I may just chuck em. Steve
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Shystev99) wrote:

When it split in half, did it fall apart? :-) If not, that is usually the first sign that it's gonna sprout!
It takes awhile...
K.
--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

Well the first time I tried it it did split in half and fell apart into 2 pieces, It fell apart after maybe 2 weeks, I tried to keep it in the water for another 2 weeks but wasn't very successful, Everytime I turned around the toothpicks had slipped or broke free and it always sank to the bottom of the glass totally underwater. There was no sprouting, not even any sign of sprouting so after a month or so I finally gave up and tossed it. But it broke right down the center of the seed. Steve
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Shystev99) wrote:

Just asking, because mine always sorta split before they sprout... even in the dirt.
If you are having bad luck with toothpicks, you may try turkey skewers??? Mom never seemed to have a problem with the toothpicks breaking off, but they stuck them in pretty deep.
K.
--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

Well I may try the toothpick thing with the other avocado, The seed is much smaller than the one in the pot. It will probably be so small I am wondering if I just couldn't find a metal screw, I'd only need one an inch or so long. Wait till it breaks in half then try to screw it back together. Or just use a nail to pound my holes for the toothpicks just to make sure they are deeper than last time. I'm sure one of those tiny nails used for picture frames may work.I just have to be careful not to shatter the seed when I pound them in. Steve

Don't screw it back together when it breaks in half... that's how the stem comes out of the middle of the seed! At that point it's growing into a tree. My toothpicks often come out. I start with 3 and usually two remaining will keep it at the right water level.
h-

Agreed. ;-) Splitting is a GOOD thing, not a bad thing! It's the first stage to sprouting.
K.
--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

No I meant just to hold it together so it doesn't constantly collapse back into the glass and sink. I didn't mean very tight just enough to help hold it up out of the water. Plus the screw would give more support to the toothpicks.Breaking in half will help it sprout but I don't think it will sprout if its fully submerged underwater. Thats why I like the pot thing so far, If it sprouts the seed won't go anywhere or drown, It may or may not sprout but I don't have to constantly babysit it and fix it 5 times a day either. Just gonna take a few weeks to tell if it works. Steve
On 11 Feb 2004 19:45:45 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Shystev99) wrote:

We have 2 of them we planted about 7 years ago. We just planted them in pots of dirt with the tip of the pit showing, and watched them grow. We put them outside for the nice weather then bring them back inside for the winter, but I'm not sure if we'll ever get any fruit from them.

Yeah that sounds like a big downside, One of the sites i was on said it usually takes anywhere from 5 - 13 years for the tree to even begin to have fruit. Most trees usually take several years though, But to me 13 years did sound a bit long. Steve
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Shystev99) wrote:

Now you know why I sprang for grafts. <G> They are guaranteed to fruit within 2 years.
K.
--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Shystev99) wrote:

<lol> Too true. ;-) Keep us posted on your progress..... Funny, we've never had them break in half to the point where they fell apart??? That's wierd. :-)
K.
--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<
On 11 Feb 2004 19:45:45 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Shystev99) wrote:

Not all toothpicks are created equally. Y'all need to get the square in the middle rounded on the ends heavy duty toothpicks.. they don't break easily, and they'll hold up a pretty big pit, and won't break under insertion unless that pit has dried too long..in which case, poke through the hard surface with the ice pick or finishing nail or something. ;-)
Janice
snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net writes:

I always thought the water/toothpick method was not for realistic starting for a long-term plant but was for children to learn about roots and leaves and how they grow in relationship to the soil line (water line in the experiment). Rather like an ant farm, not practical but it's educational for seeing the process while putting accuracy and actual "implementation" by Mother Nature aside.
The avocado seed, being a large seed, has all the basic characteristics of other seeds (roots, leaves, seed splitting, etc.). Unlike a bean seed, it will do very well in full light for an extended period of time living only on water (and much easier to keep upright and watered!). By the time the child is bored of it all, the plant usually hasn't yet given up. Slower starting than smaller seeds, it's more realistic to compare with the seeds they start in the soil. If memory serves correctly, when started at the same time, the avocado will start sprouting about the same time the bean seeds start poking their heads through the ground.
Glenna
The method I have used to start avocados is to place the seed with damp paper towels in a ziploc bag. I place this under the sink (or another dark place where I will not forget about it) and check it every few days until it has a root. I then plant.
Even if you do forget about the seed, I have had luck planting a seed that spend a couple months forgotten about under the sink.