Autumn sown peas

I don't know who it was here that recommended it, but I sowed a few drills of peas (Douce Provence) in open ground on my allotment 2 weeks ago and already there is very high germination rate with loads and loads of stout little shoots showing. I am well pleased with the advice and am well looking forward to early picking next year.
Anyone else do over-winter peas?
Ed (Herts, UK)

Yes I planted Little Marvel last year under small polytunnels. Did really well; huge crop, totally beyond my expectation. Due to time restrictions not able to do the same this year.
PDM
On 16/10/08 23:13, PDM wrote:

Great, that is very encouraging.
But tell me this. Is it necessary to cover the peas with fleece to guard against frost or are they sufficiently winter hardy like autumn sown broad beans?
Ed

I will sow round seeded peas, Meteor in January and they don't need protection down here, just the pea sticks to stabilise them
--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com
On 17/10/08 13:42, Robert (Plymouth) wrote:

They need sticking? Are they not short enough to do without?
Ed

Probably not as the winters these days are rather mild. However, I suspect a better crop will result if they are covered. As said, I got a really heavy crop under cover. Note that pea sticks need to be in as soon as the crops show, otherwise they will trail across the ground with a reduced crop as a result.
PDM
I've been thinking of trying some in hanging baskets. I don't have a lot of room (and I don't trust my dog.) As long as they get enough water, do you see any problems? Laura
-------- Zone 9 So. California http://www.theGardenPages.com
Suspect it wouldn't work as you would be constantly watering. Drying out would be a real problem as peas like a lot of water. And to get a worthwhile crop you would need a lot of baskets. But; try it and see. I've learned a lot by just trying things out. I grew potatoes in a dustbin that I'd cut holes in just like a strawberry planter to see if it worked - it did.
PDM