Autumn Onion Sets and Garlic

I've just got my onion sets for autumn planting and garlic which I'm intending to plant out in the next couple of weeks.
Never done these before , so:
Do these need netting to protect against birds, as do spring planted bulbs?
Do I need to cover them with fleece overwinter? Somehow, I doubt if I need to do this as they are supposed to be winter hardy.
I welcome advice from experienced growers.
(I'm in Herts, SE UK)
Ed
"Ed" wrote

Oh dear, see my comments under "Complete Newbie to veg growing".

We have never netted any onions, ever. Cabbages yes, onions no.

tough it will grow in any warmer spell we get during the winter.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

do, I just push them back in. The birds do still peck at them so if you net them for that reason you still can .... if you can be bothered lol! Bob is of course correct, there is no need for fleece
Robert (Plymouth) wrote:

the sets are pushed out of the soil?
On 29/09/08 19:02, Broadback wrote:

yes, birds pull em up. u a gardener or a physicist?
Ed

:o) I use sticks and attach shiny paper on them to scare the birds for everything I plant. We used to also disguise spuds as a bird, sticking feathers on them and hanging it by the crops. Cds are also good, but I find I don't like seeing cds hanging around the lotty when I've just left the office, if you know what I mean. Scarecrows are good too - ours is a girl this year.
On 29/09/08 19:02, Broadback wrote:

yes, birds pull em up. u a gardener or a physicist?
Ed

Ed, I hope you don't mind me replying to your question, although I know next to nothing about gardening. I'm a college student completing a class assignment, posting to a newsgroup. However, I wish the best of luck in getting an educated answer. Mike
Ed;817584]I've just got my onion sets for autumn planting and garlic which I'm
intending to plant out in the next couple of weeks. G'day. I put my onions out this time every year. They need nothing except they really hate weed competition. I put mulch down first, and then make little "wells" in the mulch to plant the onions. They go like the clappers. Hope this helps. ad.
QUOTE;817584]I've just got my onion sets for autumn planting and garlic which I'm
intending to plant out in the next couple of weeks.
Never done these before , so:
Do these need netting to protect against birds, as do spring planted bulbs?
Do I need to cover them with fleece overwinter? Somehow, I doubt if I need to do this as they are supposed to be winter hardy.
I welcome advice from experienced growers.
(I'm in Herts, SE UK)
Ed
--
ozadam